St Mary’s / Heritage Lottery Fund
Paye Stonework and Restoration
St Mary’s church (Our Lady of Victories) in Clapham Park Road was designed by William Wardell and built in 1849-51. The north transept was added when the adjoining monastery was built in 1892 by J.F.Bentley, a Clapham resident and architect of Westminster Cathedral.
Paye’s specialist masons completed the challenging task of stabilising the ragstone and dressed Bath stone spire and the corroding embedded iron hoop cramps which were gradually decaying because of the exposure to the weather, situated on the edge of the common.
Paye’s temporary works team developed a complex post tensioned scaffold to avoid placing load on to the spire combined with minimal facility for basing the scaffold at pavement level.
With our long-standing commitment of engaging with the local community, the Paye site team provided various technical tours for the EASA as well as supporting the local community and schools with open days, talks and views from the top of the spire.