St George's Church
Paye Stonework and Restoration
Due to the rapid growth of population in the late 17th and early 18th Century, new and elegant suburbs began to cover the open country to the westward. There was very soon a need for the readjustment of Parish boundaries and for new places of worship. To meet this, in May 1711, Parliament passed an Act for the erection of fifty new churches in and about the Cities of London and Westminster.
Ten years later the building of St. George’s was begun on a plot of ground given by General William Stewart. The architect chosen was John James, one of Sir Christopher Wren’s assistants.
The first stone was laid on June 20th, 1721 during a grand ceremony. After the auspicious start, the Church took three and a half years to complete at a total cost of £10,000
The church had rarely been repaired over the years and before stone repair works could commence, a considerable amount of hardened carbon deposits and encrustation up to 25mm thick had to be removed.
This was initially carried using masons hand tools to work back the deposits followed by controlled localised use of a wet abrasive cleaning system
Further works included removal of damaged, fractured stonework caused by corrosion of embedded iron cramps.
Exposed cramps were cleaned and treated before new Portland stone, plain and moulded indents were supplied and fixed in position.