Paye Stonework and Restoration
On the corner of Pall Mall, a few metres down Marlborough Road is the pale-yellow building of the Queen’s Chapel, the first classical church in England. It is part of the Royal Palaces complex, but politically and socially separate.
It was designed by Inigo Jones in 1623 as a catholic chapel for various Queens from Europe: Henrietta Maria, Catherine of Braganza and Charlotte von Mecklenburgh.
Paye were appointed to clean and repair the external facades using traditional lime-based stucco mortars then applying a lime based stucco repair mortar. The works were completed by applying multiple layers of a lime wash which included a cow’s milk extract.