Paye Stonework and Restoration
Hardham Priory Ruins date from the mid-13th century and are a scheduled ancient monument.
The works consisted of conservation repair and stabilisation to the ruins involving the insertion of micro pins, gravity grouting to fill voids in the walling, application of lime water, lime shelter coats and micro porous wax to ornate carved stone capitals.
Sections of structurally unstable wall were carefully dismantled and rebuilt using salvaged materials.
The contract also required the conservation repair of the masonry which had been left without any attention for many years; the building had also suffered from fire damage in 1912.
The repair strategy included poultice cleaning the use of lime shelter coats and lime mortars to help prevent water traps.