Paye Stonework and Restoration
Built between 1866 and 1870 the Grade II* Listed buildings are of significant architectural interest constructed from loadbearing masonry using brickwork, decorative terracotta and Portland stone.
Following a detailed vehicle platform survey of the three buildings and collaboration with heritage architects Julian Harrap. Paye were appointed Principal Contractor to maintain and return the facades to a good state of repair, with an extensive external programme of works to conserve the masonry, windows and roofs.
Most of the repair work was concentrated at roof level on Central Block, including the brick and terracotta turrets, finials and pierced terracotta balustrade.
The facades were cleaned using conservation techniques to minimise damage and to remove years of soiling and reveal the original colour and finish of the listed masonry.
Terracotta had become at risk from fracturing caused by corrosion of embedded metal dowels and restraint bars. To repair and make these safe the features were carefully dismantled salvaging where possible for re-use.
Replacement terracotta was manufactured following traditional techniques using relevant examples taken from site used as models to form plaster moulds. Where this was not possible, clay models were hand crafted from detailed drawings and site profiles.
The rebuilt terracotta was constructed using stainless steel to prevent future corrosion and damage. Additional work included tuck pointing brickwork, brick replacement, stone repairs, roof repairs, window repair and decoration. The college remained fully occupied and operational throughout the life of the contract.