St Helens Church
Paye Stonework and Restoration
The landscape of the Hoo Peninsula, between the Thames and Medway rivers, is the setting for ancient settlements and isolated churches. One such church is St Helen’s at Cliffe, known to contain records from at least 1558, although a church has existed on the site since the 7th century.
Parts of the church required significant remedial work and Paye were appointed to undertake the repairs. Defective stones were replaced, and loose and defective stones were re-pointed. Several buttresses were pinned and grouted back to core, lime shelter coats were applied to defective stonework and repairs to lime mortar carried out in-situ.
A combination of Richemont Crème and Richemont Blue was used to replace defective stonework, and the re-pointing and in-situ mortar repairs were done using specialist lime mortars.