St George's Church
Paye Stonework and Restoration
Tuffnell Park, London
St George’s Church is an historic Grade II listed circular building based on a 5th Century Greek church and modelled on Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. It was built in 1867 as a place of worship.
In the 1960s St Georges Church was built nearby, as a better space for religious services, and the building was sold to a private individual who ran it as a theatre.
The building had been left unused and neglected for more than four years until sold again for transformation from a redundant theatre back to its original use as a place of worship, whilst accommodating the needs of the wider community.
Paye were appointed as main contractor to complete wide-ranging external repairs including the design and installation of an extremely complex access scaffolding, stone repair and cleaning, extensive re-roofing including the tower and reinstatement of stained glass windows to the leaded lights.