Internal and External Restoration
Four Seasons Hotels
The Sir Edwin Cooper designed building was originally built in 1922 and occupied by the Port of London Authority until 1970, however, in 1948, the building was the venue for the famous signing of the first UN Charter, hosted by Winston Churchill.
In the latest chapter in its extraordinary life, the Grade II* listed building has undergone a meticulous conversion and the sensitive refurbishment and transformation into a spectacular Four Seasons Hotel and apartments.
Paye were appointed to clean, restore and adapt external and internal masonry fabric. External restoration included addressing years of neglect and problems associated with steel frame corrosion and inappropriate historical repairs.
Internally, Paye’s specialists were instructed to restore the original Subiaco and Repen Zola marble finishes sourcing seamless replacements to match the internal finishes that are no longer available. The transformation received numerous accolades and awards on its opening and redefined the benchmark for heritage restoration projects.
The building hosted the inaugural assembly of the UN