Historic Royal Palaces
Paye Stonework and Restoration
The Palace, built in 1631 for a Dutch merchant, has been restored to its condition in the early 19th Century when it served as the Palace of George III.
It was the ‘Mad’ King’s favourite home and he retreated there during his periods of mental illness to be surrounded by childhood memories and a herd of kangaroos that lived in the garden.
Paye repaired the external facades and brickwork to enable multiple layers of a lime wash which included a cow’s milk extract to provide a lasting binder and red brick dust to provide the building with its distinctive rich colour to be applied.