St John's Church
Paye Stonework and Restoration
St Johns Church, Waterloo, was built to the designs of the architect and classical scholar Francis Octavius Bedford in 1826.
St John’s was the first church built in the parish of Lambeth using funds voted by Parliament and administered by the Commissioners for building new churches.
The elevations were cleaned using a combination of pre-wetting of the facades and the use of the low-pressure JOS system. Little work had been done to the church in the past fifty years and extensive repairs were required to repair the stonework damaged by the corrosion of cast iron cramps.
Damaged stone was carefully cut out to expose corroded cramps which were either cleaned and treated or replaced with stainless steel. New stone indents were supplied and secured using stainless steel threaded dowels, bedded and pointed up using lime mortar.