Paye Stonework and Restoration
In the Middle Ages Bishop’s Waltham Palace was one of the finest residences of the Bishops of Winchester, who were among the richest churchmen in Europe.
First built by Henry of Blois in the 12th century, the complex was remodelled and extended in the 14th and 15th centuries, becoming a palace capable of housing the king and his court, as well as the bishop and his household.
The palace was badly damaged in the Civil War (1642–9) and subsequently abandoned.
Paye’s conservation masons were tasked with consolidating and repairing the flint and Portland limestone walls to provide a protective cap to the masonry walls.
Works also included the installation of Cintec anchors and grouting of the body of the walls to provide long term stability to the various structures.