This Grade II listed church was designed by Augustus Pugin and built by George Myers in a Victorian Gothic style. Its foundation stone was laid on 26th October 1842 and it was opened some 12 months later. Pugin was given the commission to build the church, one of only three of his in London along with St Thomas’s, Fulham and St George’s Cathedral, Southwark (a project undertaken by PAYE Conservation). It is constructed from yellow stock brick with Bath stone dressings and slate roofs.
The work was a result of general failure and saw PAYE undertake both internal and external works. External works included replacement of approximately 1100 m2 of roof with new slate and stone and brick replacement & pointing. Internally, a full birdcage scaffold will was erected to allow access to replace and redecorate all of the damaged ceilings.